Food Safety for Summer Meal Programs

Understanding Health Inspections for Summer Food

Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) Contracting Entities (CE) are required to meet all applicable state and local health, safety, and sanitation standards. Before SFSP operations begin, a CE must notify in writing the appropriate state, city or county health department of its intent to provide a food service including specific locations and times. A copy of this notification must be submitted to TDA with the CE's application.

In Texas, local health, safety, and sanitation standards may vary depending on where a site is located and how the site is operating (Food Service Management Company, on-site food preparations, etc.). It is the CE's responsibility to know, understand, and comply with all state and/or local health and safety standards.

Please use the steps below to find contact information for your local health inspector. It is the responsibility of CEs and sites to contact their local health department to ensure implementation of the latest requirements and standards.

Note: If you need assistance ensuring you are complying with all applicable state and local health, safety, and sanitation standards, attend a food safety training class hosted by your regional Education Service Center (ESC). Click here to find the ESC that services your region.

Health Department Locator

Once a CE has chosen its prospective SFSP sites, the CE must notify the appropriate local health department(s) in writing of all prospective summer site locations. The instructions below help CEs identify the contact information of the appropriate health department(s) for their SFSP site operation(s). CEs must contact each county and city that has local jurisdiction where they operate an SFSP site. If there is not a local county or city health authority, then CEs must contact the regional health department that covers their area.

Find your health department:

Step 1: Click here to find your county on DSHS Public Health Coverage Map.

Step 2: Identify if your county has a local health department or regional health department.

  • The map also identifies a select few cities that have their own local health department.

Step 3: Locate contact information for your local or regional health department.

  • If your county or city is overseen by a local health department, click here to view a list of local public health organizations and contact information.
  • If your county is overseen by a regional health department, click here to view a list of regional headquarters and contact information.

Assistance available in English and Spanish. Please call 877-TEX-MEAL (877-839-6325) for help. Additional translations services available as well.

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

1. Mail:
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or
2. Fax: (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
This institution is an equal opportunity provider. Logo

Facebook Icon Instagram Icon
Twitter Icon YouTube Icon