Becoming an SFSP Site

How Can I Become an SFSP Site?


Participating in the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) as a site is a wonderful way for organizations to support and engage with their community. 

Recommendation for organizations new to the SFSP
As the administrative requirements of the SFSP are rigorous, TDA strongly recommends these organizations operate their first SFSP year as a meal site under an experienced Contracting Entity (CE). These sites are welcome to transition to a CE role after successful participation as a site for a minimum of one year.

Overview of SFSP sites
A site (or meal site) is a location where children actually eat their meals. Sites may be located in a variety of settings, including schools, recreation centers, playgrounds, parks, churches, community centers, day camps, residential summer camps, housing projects, and migrant centers, or on Indian reservations.

Sites participate under the sponsorship of a CE that has a contract with TDA. The CE may require the site to sign an agreement with a CE which outlines the site’s responsibilities. SFSP sites do not retain financial or administrative responsibility for the SFSP and do not receive reimbursement for the meals served. The CE provides the meals and ensures all financial and administrative responsibilities are met.

What are a Site's Responsibilities?
Some of the site’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:

    • Serve meals to all needy children 18 years of age and under
    • Serve meals that meet the minimum meal pattern requirements
    • Count meals as they are served to children
    • Provide adequate supervision during the meal service
    • Ensure that children eat all meals onsite
    • Maintain and promptly submit reports and records that the CE requires
    • Report to the CE any changes in the number of meals required as attendance fluctuates
    • Report any other problems regarding the meal services
    • Comply with civil rights laws and regulations
    • Adhere to local health and sanitation regulations
    • Attend CE training sessions

Click here to learn more about a site’s responsibilities with USDA’s Site Supervisors’s Guide (both in English and Spanish).

How do I find a CE?

Contact the regional ESC for information on CEs in your area.


For a listing of last year's summer sites and their CEs, please click on the blue box titled “SFSP 2017 Summer Site and Sponsor List” at the top right of this page.

How do I choose a CE?
TDA can’t recommend a particular CE over another. A site should consider the following questions when approaching potential CEs:
  1. How many sites do you already have?
  2. Do you have the financial capability to take on another site?
  3. Do you have the management capability to take on another site?
  4. Will you provide the meals, or do we provide the meals and get reimbursed?
  5. Do you serve hot meals or cold meals?
  6. Do you have proper holding equipment that my site can use, if needed?
  7. How many meals can you provide to each site?
  8. What type of activities do you offer at your sites?
  9. Do you have training for site supervisors?
  10. Will you be training my site staff or will your staff be supervising?


In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, 
color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.  
Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.
To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:  
U.S. Department of Agriculture 
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 
1400 Independence Avenue, SW 
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; 
(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or 
(3) email: program.intake@usda.gov.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

© 2018 Texas Department of Agriculture